If your organization had a content strategy, you would have A holistic vision for how…
At the end of a content strategy project, everyone involved with content should be able to answer “yes” to all of the following statements.
For those who create content or facilitate/manage content created by external authors
Strategy and audience
- I understand the strategic goals for my organization’s content overall.
- I understand who the content I create or manage is for.
Roles, responsibilities, and skills
- I know what my role and responsibilities are in planning, creating, facilitating, managing, and publishing content.
- I have the skills and time to perform my content responsibilities.
Content success metrics
- I know how to identify measurable goals for the content I create or manage.
- I have the time and skills to determine whether the content I create or manage has met its goals.
- I have the time and skills to make future decisions (either alone or in collaboration with others) about the content I create or manage based on how well it met its goals.
- I know how to identify the appropriate tags for the content I create or manage.
- I know how long the content I create or manage will remain online, and I make sure the content is no longer online once it has reached the end of its lifecycle.
- I know how to write in the appropriate voice and tone for the content I create or manage.
Working with content producers
- For the content I manage that is created by member groups or third parties, I know how to educate them about my organization’s content strategy principles and practices.
Interweaving with other content
- Before planning new content, I make sure that my organization hasn’t already published similar content on this same topic.
- Before publishing new content on my organization’s website or in other platforms, I consider what other content my organization has published and I cross-link my content with that.
For those who supervise content creators/facilitators
- I know how to support the content-related activities of the people I supervise.
- I include the results of content-related activities in my regular and annual performance reviews of the people I supervise.
Download this list (PDF, 2 pages)
If your organization can’t say “yes” to these, get in touch today!